Tuesday, January 21, 2014

All Things New

As you all can I see I put my pen down for awhile. I was feeling as if my words had no voice and that I was wasting my time by writing encouraging post. For what seemed like a very long season, I moved from one direction to the next trying to figure my life out - trying to find my next step. I met with a wonderful young woman today who encouraged me to write again...this time about my story.

She reminded me that my story is compelling, healing and powerful. I must say that she SPARKED a passion and desire in me to not only write again but to speak more loudly. I believe that I have something that the world needs to hear. I promised myself today to never walk in the silence of my own fears but to continue to be the conqueror I've always been. My story is not of victim hood. It is a story of truly overcoming every obstacle I faced and beating all the odds. It is my story of healing through sexual abuse, teen parenting and poverty. I overcame and so can you.

I was molested at the age of nine by my step-father. I struggled for many years with homelessness, sexual assault and self-hatred. I was pregnant by the age of 12 and had my first son when I was only 13 years old. I later had a second son at 14 and my third son at 17. Many had given up on me and many counted me out. I was expected to fail, to be on welfare for the rest of my life and to be a horrible parent. I am none of those things.

 In spite of the verbal, physical, emotional and sexual abuse I suffered I attended school every day and was able to graduate with my class. I later went on to college and graduated with my Associates Degree in Liberal Arts, a Bachelors in Social Work and a Masters of Science in Social Work. I was determined to be more than what others said about me and more than what I thought.

To hear more about LaToya's story visit her page at www.latoyabrown.com

I was recently honored by Pat Smith's Treasure You -Second Chances for Overcomers event in Dallas Texas this past weekend. It was an honor and pleasure to be featured among national and local female overcomers. It was a stark reminder that I have overcome and should shout it out to the world.

To learn more about second chances visit http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/society/01-21-14-pat-smith-robin-roberts-treasure-you-celebrating-second-chances-overcomers/

To view comments about overcomers visit http://www.ohsocynthia.com/2014/01/pat-smith-honors-second-chances.html

It amazes me how God never forgets the story. God never allows us to forget how far we've come. He did that for me this weekend. He reminded me of not only His love for me but also of his acceptance and support of my dreams. I was greatly humbled and appreciative.

So, with that in mind, I've decided to write and speak again. I'm writing again because you deserve to heal and you need a friend along your journey who can help guide you to the healing place. I will be honest with you...I pull no punches. Life is what it is and I believe in transparency at all cost. Only the truth will set us free.

I want you to be free. You are worth it. You are stronger than you realize and more powerful than you ever believed. You have what it takes to make your life different. If you will decide to be better, then you will soon find that your life can be not only different but whole.

Nothing is Final Until You Give Up...

In HIs Love,
LaToya Brown, LMSW