Thursday, February 23, 2012

Coffee and Compassion

I was at Starbucks last night and  happened upon a converation with a woman who had lost her car, her job and I'm sure some dignity went out the window too. She had walked to Starbucks to look for a job. As she was trying to explain to me the cause of her dilemma, I could only think about my own journey a few months ago. I was in the same boat...trying to excuse away the trial. Make it my fault. Perhaps I was disobedient. Maybe I just didn't listen to God enough. I went around that mountain over and over again.

See, this young lady believes that God told her to end a long time friendship with a male friend who happens to be a homosexual. After all, God doesn't want a "good" Christian having anything to do with a homosexual. She believed  the word of a "prophet" that told her to walk away from this guy because he was gay... because God couldn't bless her with a husband unless she stopped talking to this gay male friend.

 She believed that by not ending their friendship she caused all the recent trials she was now facing.   I listened intently and quietly and then of course I had to add my two sense...If there was any to add. I sensed frustration on her part and realized that the big headed enemy that told me I was the one at fault for all of my trials was the one who was badgering this young girl.

Now, does God require obedience? Yes. Do storms happen because of our lack thereof? Of course, but I would beg to differ that God would tell her to walk away from someone needing his love because of a lifestyle that he died for aswell. If this friend was a bad influence, then I would agree that she step away, however, that wasn't the case. I don' t know about you but I'm glad God didn't throw me away when I was a Louisiana Hot Sauce mess. I thank God for the friends who stayed when the going got tough and are still here with me today.

This lady had a bad case of Judgment. I hope that she walked away from our conversation with some wisdom and food for thought. Let us walk away from judgment and open our hearts to loving others as they are and allow God to be God and  trust that He can save them the same way He saved us. Can I get an AMEN....

Prayer: Lord forgive me for walking in judgment. Help me to see people as you see them and to love them as you love them. Help me to have compassion. I don't assume to know anything except love...thank you for first loving me and enabling me to love others.